Smart WAter Management system for better environmental sustainability
SWAM is a novel product for better environmental sustainability addressing a new water market integrating emerging technologies.
SWAM will offer an innovative end-to-end solution from Smart Probe to Smart Visualization and by considering ground-breaking aspects: multi-protocol for IoT connectivity, cybersecurity and traceability by design to provide a valuable tool for water management encompassing quality monitoring, safe and security aspects, decision support and cost-efficiency management.
SWAM wants to support Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the implementation of EU initiatives (IEP Water) by providing a robust, smart, effective and tailored water management system. SWAM addresses the need to develop the market of digital services for water management stakeholders with those expected impacts: improve the decision making and performance of water infrastructures, enhance interoperability and real-time data accuracy, and reduce costs for water utilities and monitoring.
The SWAM route to market is driven by a product sales model and a value-based pricing strategy to maximize market penetration. The main product is an IoT end-to-end solution composed of platform and probe. SWAM will offer different tailored versions of its platform to suit better the needs of different target clients, e.g. water suppliers, utilities, water intensive agriculture. Other revenues may come from derived concepts: software use licenses, probes sales or rental, or services provision.
The beneficiaries or customers concerned are represented by a wide range of private or public water distribution operators, operators who want to optimize the operation of their networks. Adopting the SWAM solution will generate various benefits:
• Improving service quality and customer experience (QoS and QoE)
• Optimization of O&M (Operation and Maintenance) water infrastructures aimed at reducing operational costs,
reduction of water losses and / or better preventive maintenance.
• Reduction and optimization of consumption (electricity, chemicals and other consumables).
• Better adaptability and simple system extension through a modular system design.
Website EUREKA: https://www.eurostars-eureka.eu/node/555013
Official website: http://agile.ro/swam/
Project ID: EUROSTARS-2019-E!12889-SWAM
Funded by UEFISCDI – Program 3 – European and international cooperation – Subprogram 3.5 Other European and international initiatives and programs, traditional EUREKA (network) projects, EUREKA cluster, EUROSTARS
Title: Smart WAter Management system for better environmental sustainability
Project Coordinator: BEIA Consult International S.R.L.
Director: Dr.ing. George SUCIU
The total value of the budget: 2.880.570 lei;
The total value of the co-founding: 909.170 lei
Non-refundable value: 1.971.400 lei
Consortium: Romania – BEIA Consult International
Contract duration: 36 months (10/12/2019 – 09/12/2022)
Contact: George Suciu – R&D and Innovation Manager
Phases and activities
1. Defining use cases, requirements and evaluation criteria 10/12/2019 -30/06/2020
Activity 1.1 Definition of use cases (correlated with activity T2.1 of the international project)
Activity 1.2 Defining the requirements and evaluation criteria (correlated with activity T2.2 of the international project)
In this phase, the definition of use cases, requirements and evaluation criteria, the use case for Romania was described, as well as the definition of evaluation requirements and criteria. At this stage, relevant information was provided about the pilot scenario, KPI and an architecture project of the planned solution. Also in this phase, the requirements and technical specifications were formulated, because this scenario offers the main aspects of the ways to develop the pilot program.
Papers and publications
- INTELLIGENT WATER MANAGEMENT SOLUTION FOR SMART CITIES AND SMART AGRICULTURE – WRW2020 Conference
- Challenges and opportunities for agriculture telemetry using data from IoT, drones and satellites – “THE 28TH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM
“”DELTAS AND WETLANDS”” 2020″
- Intelligent water solution for smart agriculture – EXPOAPA 2020
The results achieved have been disseminated in the following events: EU Sustainable Water Week, a meeting of the working group organized on March 10, 2020 at the headquarters of the Ministry of Environment, Waters and Forests, CCW 2020, Knowledge4Innovation Forum.
2. SWAM platform design 01/07/2020 – 31/12/2020
Activity 2.1 SWAM solution architecture design (Correlated with T3.3 activity in the international project)
Activity 2.2 Design of functional modules, interfaces and connectors (correlated with activity T2.3 of the international project)
3.Design of the platform and security solutions 01/01/2021 – 30/06/2021
4. Development and integration of SWAM solution components 01/07/2021 – 31/12/2021
5. Implementation and validation of the SWAM solution01/01/2022 – 30/06/2022
6. Defining the exploitation and internationalization strategy, disseminating the results01/07/2022 – 09/12/2022
7. Reporting economic effects 10/12/2022 – 09/12/2023
8. Reporting economic effects 10/12/202 – 09/12/2024
9. Reporting economic effects 10/12/2024 – 09/12/2025